Let Us Save Birds

We all are aware that Birds population is declining very fast, particularly in urban areas. The best & easiest way to save birds in urban cities, in my opinion, is to fix Nest-Boxes in & around our houses.
I have designed nest-box designs for some birds. I feel that we should fix nest-boxes for House-Sparrow on top priority.

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Nesting of Magpie-Robin


        Nesting of Magpie Robin 


                  It is very interesting to see that Magpie-Robin pair has occupied the nest-box for their nesting during this monsoon season. The nest-box was actually designed for house-sparrows & they did used it for 4 nesting periods. But now, magpie-robins have successfully breded their young in the same best-box and feeding activity of the young by the parents is vigorously on.

                 The nest-box was fitted in the balcony of our II floor-flat 4 years back. I have observed that every 5/6 minutes, either male or female feeds the young, male making more number of trips.

                 I think we have become much used to them and they do not seem to be disturbed with our presence except a little noticing. I could take their photos from 10 feet with due care & camouflage, not disturbing their activities at all. I have also attached the previous house-sparrow nesting photo.
             
                 I would like to appeal all nature-friends to fix nest-boxes in your house premises & enjoy their activities. This will definitely help increase birds' population in urban cities. I have designed nest-boxes for some birds. You can contact me if you are interested in fixing them in your premises.




5 comments:

  1. What is the size of your nesting boxes?
    I am interested in making some for a research project here in Singapore!
    I can be reached at -
    patstorey@mac.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry I could not reply you in time. Now, I will put a blog showing the drawing of the Nest-box with dimensions. Please refer it & give your comments. - Anil Mahajan

      Delete
  2. I placed one sparrow house in my balcony and after 3-4 days i saw some sparrows and magpies fighting to occupy that house. The magpie won the little fight and they made a nest in it. They laid 5 eggs and i saw only the male stayed there at night, alone ( incubating the eggs ). After few days i saw both parents carrying food inside the house, every half and hour or so. I took a picture of the baby magpies by opening the top of the house. The parents saw me doing this and i got away from there in no time, by usually spending 10-15 seconds there. From then after a very strange thing started happening. One or two babies started to be disappearing every day. There were no predators to do this at all. Also the birds didn't screamed for anything wrong. And finally i saw not a single baby left there. And after that i saw those magpies to be appearing at the house opposite to my house i.e the house next to the road...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sir, could you help me understand if magpie and sparrow can co-exist in nearby bird houses. I installed a sparrow house which is occupied now. Can i install a magpie house nearby which has a bigger entry hole than that of a sparrow house. Can these two species coexist. I heard magpies are predators type and can make the sparrows run away. Plz clarify.

    ReplyDelete